- WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128. God Bless you! Are you a registered parishioner?
- SUNDAY SCHOOL classes are in hiatus for the summer months. We look forward to welcoming our staff and students back when classes resume in September. Until then remember – there is no vacation from church! The Lord God commands us to KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH DAY (and for Orthodox Christians the Sabbath Day is Sunday –EVERY SUNDAY.) Enjoy your summer vacation! God Bless you! (and COME TO CHURCH!)
- CHURCH CLEANING for this week, 14 August : TEAM 3 --- Sandra Wallick, Sonja Czachor, Mary Ann Hogan and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons, candlestands and the main aisle before leaving church today. We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to clean the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday). Thank you and God Bless! O LORD, SANCTIFY THOSE WHO LOVE THE BEAUTY OF THY HOUSE!
- OUR SINCERE gratitude to our Parishioners who have continued their faithful prayerful and financial support of our Parish during these continuing pandemic and now inflationary times. Although some parishioners decided it was safer to avoid coming to church because of personal health issues and concerns about the virus, your continued financial support is much appreciated and needed. Our Parish expenses continue to come despite our concerns about the virus. It has sometimes been a struggle to “make ends meet” considering we are now involved in interior and exterior church renovations, since the roof has been replaced. “Thank You!” for your continued and generous support of your Parish. May the Lord God Bless you and guide us through these difficult times. God Bless!
- VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month.* Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you! * The cost to keep our website up and running on-line has increased. This is the first increase since our website began several years ago. Your continued support, encouragement and generosity are very much appreciated.
- THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection * in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
- JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution to the Cathedraticum for the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your Cathedraticum envelopes. God Bless!
- LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at - www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM. - www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore, (Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
- SAVE THE DATE! Plans are in progress to celebrate the 125th ANNIVERSARY of SAINTS PETER AND PAUL RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH, Scranton, Pennsylvania (“That’s us!!”) On Sunday, 9 October, 2022. More info will be forthcoming! If you have any thoughts, ideas, etc… that’s great! Come to the next Council meeting on Sunday, 7 August. and share them. Your input is appreciated! God Bless! 9a. ADVERTISMENT FORMS for our Parish’s 125th Anniversary Souvenir Journal are now available in the vestibule/candle stand. We welcome our parishioners and friends to consider supporting our Parish by placing an “Ad” in this commemorative journal. Perhaps others in your family or among your friends and business associates might consider placing an “Ad” in this booklet?! Your help is greatly appreciated! For further information and “Ad” forms, please see Dr. Michael Senyk or Robert Lozada. God Bless!
PRAY FOR PEACE IN UKRAINE.
NOTA BENE: Necessary exterior work is being done on the cupola (as weather permits). The windows at the base of the cupola need to be re-sealed and several fasteners on the outside must be replaced. Please, pray for the successful completion of this project. Thank you for your understanding, co-operation and support. God Bless!
Petitions offered up at the Augmented Litany of Divine Liturgy, during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
- Again we pray Thee, O Lord our God, that Thou mightest mercifully protect us from the devastating pestilence
stirred up against us, and deliver Thy faithful people from spiritual and physical death; grant unto the sick healing and health, and unto all of us Thy divine protection and help; we pray Thee, O kind-hearted Lord, quickly hearken and have mercy.
- Again we pray, that Thou mightest pacify the troubles of men and every fearful thing, compass Thy faithful about with firm hope, and instill in our hearts quietude; we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy.
Prayer read during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
O Lord our God, enter not into judgement with Thy servants, and compass us about with protection from the devastating pestilence stirred up against us. O kind-hearted Lord Who art inclined toward benevolence, have compassion on us, Thy humble and unworthy servants, who fall down before Thee with broken hearts and hope in Thy mercy.
For Thine it is to show mercy and to save us, O our God, and unto Thee do we send up glory: to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
+ + + + + +
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]