- WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128. God Bless you!
- SUNDAY SCHOOL classes for the current school year are in session. We welcome our students and teachers for a year of learning about our Orthodox Faith. Classes commence after Divine Liturgy and will be held in the upper classroom of the School-Center. Students in grades Pre-K through 8 are strongly urged to attend weekly sessions. We thank the parents and grandparents for their continued co-operation with our Sunday School programme. May the Lord God Bless our Sunday School teachers, students and all who support our Parish Sunday School. God Bless!
- SAINTS MARTHA AND MARY Sisterhood will meet for a brief session today, Sunday, 11 April. The meeting will be held in the Parish Hall following Divine Liturgy and Panikhida. All Sisterhood members, and those interested in learning more about our Parish Sisterhood, are most welcome. God Bless!
- CHURCH CLEANING for the week of 11 April: TEAM 4: Maria Lozada, Barbara Ferkile, Donna Ferkile, Stephen Dreater, Michael Senyk and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and the main aisle before leaving church today. Thank you and God Bless! We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to clean the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday). God Bless! HOW LOVELY IS THY DWELLING PLACE, O LORD OF HOSTS!
- THE APRIL 50/50 has been postponed until next month. The combined April/May 50/50 is planned for Sunday, 9 May (Saint Thomas Sunday / Victory Day / Dyen Pobyedi). - The Parish Council will meet for the May session on 9 May, also. All Council members are asked to attend. God Bless!
- SOUP FOR YOU! Our Parish will sponsor a Manhattan-Style Clam Chowder sale this Friday, 16 April, at the Parish Center from 10:00AM until 2:00PM. Donation: $8/quart. For more info, check at the candle-desk in the vestibule. Mmmm! Mmmm! Good!!!
- THE NEW roof on our church is completed! It took a long time – there was much to do, but now it is finished. Glory to God! However, the project isn’t completely over just yet. The next phase is to tend to touching-up the interior walls and ceiling in the church. This will begin in the near future. Estimates for this work are now being gathered. We thank our parishioners for their prayers, understanding, co-operation, support and contributions during the time our roof was undergoing replacement. We know that it was a somewhat difficult time and we appreciate your patience and long-suffering. God Bless all of you!
- VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month.* Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you! * The cost to keep our website up and running on-line has increased. This is the first increase since our website began several years ago. Your continued support, encouragement and generosity are very much appreciated. Our website has undergone a makeover! You will see a “new look” to our digital home base. MANY THANKS to our web-servant who afforded much time, effort and attention to this upgrade to our cyber presence. Visit us on line often – with mask or without – you are welcome! God Bless! Nota Bene: Father Basil’s e-mail address is temporarily out-of-service due to the website reconstruction. A new address will be available soon. It will be listed on the website ASAP. Meanwhile, should you need to contact Father Basil, please, use the telephone! 570-343-8128 (if no answer, wait 8 rings and leave a message.)
- THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. God Bless! [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
- JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution for the Cathedraticum to the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your “Cathedraticum” envelopes. God Bless!
- LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at- www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM. - www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore, (Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
- SPRING CLEANING at our parish cemetery will be held on Saturday, 15 May. We will start at about 9:00AM. We are asking all able-bodied men and women to lend a hand (no discrimination here!). Everybody’s help is important. If you can help for an hour or so – that’s great! Please, see Dr. Michael Senyk for particulars. Thanks for your help! God Bless!
- VETERANS PLAQUE: A model of our Veterans Plaque is available for inspection in the vestibule. This plaque honours the veterans from our Parish who valiantly served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America in war-time and in peace-time. Please, address all concerns and suggestions to George Kofira. Pending final inspection and approval, the plaque will be Blessed/Dedicated and installed in an honourable and fitting place in our church vestibule. God Bless our veterans!
- AN IMPORTANT component of our “Lenten” discipline is almsgiving. Our Parish has a tradition called the “Lenten Sacrifice” which has been in existence for several generations.Each person is asked to contribute just one dollar (or whatever your conscience tells you!) per day for the forty days of the Great Fast as a personal sacrifice towards our Parish. This is a worthy and blessed effort. Special envelopes are available in the narthex to remind us of the importance of this discipline. May the Lord God Bless and reward your “Lenten Sacrifice”.
Petitions offered up at the Augmented Litany of Divine Liturgy, during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
- Again we pray Thee, O Lord our God, that Thou mightest mercifully protect us from the devastating pestilence
stirred up against us, and deliver Thy faithful people from spiritual and physical death; grant unto the sick healing and health, and unto all of us Thy divine protection and help; we pray Thee, O kind-hearted Lord, quickly hearken and have mercy.
- Again we pray, that Thou mightest pacify the troubles of men and every fearful thing, compass Thy faithful about with firm hope, and instill in our hearts quietude; we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy.
Prayer read during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
O Lord our God, enter not into judgement with Thy servants, and compass us about with protection from the devastating pestilence stirred up against us. O kind-hearted Lord Who art inclined toward benevolence, have compassion on us, Thy humble and unworthy servants, who fall down before Thee with broken hearts and hope in Thy mercy.
For Thine it is to show mercy and to save us, O our God, and unto Thee do we send up glory: to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
+ + + + + +
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]