1897 – Celebrating our 125th Anniversary - 2022
- WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128. God Bless you! Are you a registered parishioner?
- SUNDAY SCHOOL classes are held each Sunday. The sessions are held in the upper classroom at the School-Center following Divine Liturgy. We thank our teachers, staff, parents, grandparents and all who support our Sunday School Programme. May the Lord God help us to learn about and to faithfully practice our Orthodox Faith and Traditions. God Bless!
- OUR PARISH is celebrating our 125th ANNIVERSAY next Sunday, 9 October, 2022! This is an event in which we should all participate. On that day, Divine Liturgy will be offered at 10:00AM. At the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy a Thanksgiving Moleben and the Blessing of our 125TH ANNIVERSARY ICON will be celebrated. Let us all come and give thanks to the Lord God for His abundant Blessings upon our Parish! - Following Divine Services, a 125th Anniversary Celebration Buffet will be held beginning at 1:00PM at Villa Maria, 1610 Washburn Street, Scranton ( that’s just a block and a half from our church!) Tickets for the Celebration Buffet are available at the candle-desk (adults-$35.00 ; under 14 years - $15.00). All our parishioners and friends are welcome! It will be a glorious day of Thanksgiving to the Lord God for His Mercy and Blessings, and a satisfying day of fellowship and goodwill among our parishioners and friends! Glory to God! God Bless!
- CHURCH CLEANING for this week, 2 October : TEAM 4 --- Maria Lozada, Barbara Ferkile, Donna Ferkile, Stephen Dreater, George Kofira, Michael Senyk and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons, candlestands and the main aisle before leaving church today. We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to attend to the cleanliness of the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday). Thank you and God Bless! O LORD, SANCTIFY THOSE WHO LOVE THE BEAUTY OF THY HOUSE! 4a. HELP! HELP! We are looking for volunteers to HELP form one more cleaning team. This additional team will allow each cleaning team to be active only once every four weeks! Pray about this, dear parishioners. Women and men are welcome. If you are agreeable, phone the rectory (570-343-8128 8 rings to voice mail) with any questions and let us know you are willing to help take care of our temple in Scranton. Thank you for your consideration. God Bless you!
- OUR SINCERE gratitude to our Parishioners who have continued their faithful prayerful and financial support of our Parish during these continuing pandemic and now inflationary times. Although some parishioners decided it was safer to avoid coming to church because of personal health issues and concerns about the virus, your continued financial support is much appreciated and needed. Our Parish expenses continue to come despite our concerns about the virus. It has sometimes been a struggle to “make ends meet” considering we are now involved in interior and exterior church renovations, since the roof has been replaced. “Thank You!” for your continued and generous support of your Parish. May the Lord God Bless you and guide us through these difficult times. God Bless!
- VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month.* Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you!
- THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection * in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
- JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution to the Cathedraticum for the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your Cathedraticum envelopes (there’s a Cathedraticum envelope for October). God Bless!
- LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at - www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM.- www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore, (Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
- HAPPENING TODAY, SUNDAY – 2 October: - COFFEE HOUR is planned! Everybody of you is welcome to stop-in at the Parish School/Center after Liturgy and enjoy a cup of coffee or tea and a tasty nosh as well as some hob-nobbing with fellow parishioners before getting on with the rest of the Lord’s Day! - THE PARISH COUNCIL is scheduled to meet for its regular session. On the agenda: - Parish Budget for 2022-2023; - final plans for our 125th Anniversary celebration ( to be held on 9 October); agenda for Annual Parish Meeting.
- UPCOMING EVENTS: - Our Annual Parish Meeting is scheduled for Sunday, 23 October, 2022. All parishioners are welcome to take part. Please, attend to any necessary financial matters prior to the meeting date. - Our Annual All-Parish Turkey Dinner is planned for Sunday, 13 November, 2022. Will it be “eat-in”, “take-out only” or a combination of both? That question is yet to be decided. In any event, we are asking for help from our parishioners and friends in making this dinner a success. Your help and co-operation is vital and very much appreciated. More information will be forthcoming. Thank you and God Bless you!
HAPPY 125TH ANNIVERSARY TO ALL OUR PARISHIONERS AND FRIENDS!
PRAY FOR PEACE IN UKRAINE.
NOTA BENE: Necessary exterior work is being done on the cupola (as weather permits). The windows at the base of the cupola need to be re-sealed and several fasteners on the outside must be replaced. Please, pray for the successful completion of this project. Thank you for your understanding, co-operation and support. God Bless!
Petitions offered up at the Augmented Litany of Divine Liturgy, during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
- Again we pray Thee, O Lord our God, that Thou mightest mercifully protect us from the devastating pestilence
stirred up against us, and deliver Thy faithful people from spiritual and physical death; grant unto the sick healing and health, and unto all of us Thy divine protection and help; we pray Thee, O kind-hearted Lord, quickly hearken and have mercy.
- Again we pray, that Thou mightest pacify the troubles of men and every fearful thing, compass Thy faithful about with firm hope, and instill in our hearts quietude; we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy.
Prayer read during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
O Lord our God, enter not into judgement with Thy servants, and compass us about with protection from the devastating pestilence stirred up against us. O kind-hearted Lord Who art inclined toward benevolence, have compassion on us, Thy humble and unworthy servants, who fall down before Thee with broken hearts and hope in Thy mercy.
For Thine it is to show mercy and to save us, O our God, and unto Thee do we send up glory: to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
+ + + + + +
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]