- WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128 (if no answer, let phone ring 8 times and leave a message.) God Bless you!
- SUNDAY SCHOOL classes for the current school-year are held each Sunday in the School/Center. Sessions begin following Divine Liturgy. Students in grades Kindergarten through 8 (any beyond!) are encouraged to attend. We say “Thank You” to our teachers, parents, grandparents, Sunday School staff and all who support our Sunday School programme. Let us learn about our Orthodox Faith and Traditions – and put them into practice. God Bless you!
- WE ARE currently in the period of the NATIVITY FAST which continues until the Great Feast of the NATIVITY OF CHRIST (25 December/7 January). For Orthodox Christians this is a sacred time to prepare ourselves to welcome the supreme “Christmas” GIFT – Our Lord, God and Saviour JESUS CHRIST into our lives. Let us observe this Nativity Fast as best as we can – strengthening our spiritual powers by abstaining from certain foods (meat, dairy) as best as we can, and thereby, with the help of God, avoiding the inclination to sin. Let us come to church often, pray at home and not get too caught-up in the “holiday excesses of ‘the season’”! You may have noticed that Christmas decorations and music have been displayed since the day after Halloween! Do you think that these decorations will be dismantled a few days after “Christmas”? We, as Orthodox Believers, prepare for the Nativity of Christ with prayer, fasting and gratitude to God for His love for us in sending the Promised Messiah. Then – with the Mother-of-God and Saint Joseph, with the Holy Angels, shepherds and Wise Men we celebrate the Nativity of the Savior of the world – Our Lord and God Jesus Christ. God Bless!
- CHURCH CLEANING for this week, 10 December: TEAM 3 ----- Sandra Wallick. Mary Ann Hogan, Sonja Czachor and anyone else who can and cares enough to help. Please, remember to tend to the Holy Icons, candlestands and the main aisle before leaving church today. We need a few more volunteers (women and men) to supplement our cleaning teams. Can you help for an hour or so each month? Please, let Father Basil know. (570-343-8128). God Bless! “HOLINESS BEFITS THY HOUSE, O LORD, UNTO THE LENGTH OF DAYS!”
- OUR PARISH HALL (SCHOOL/CENTER) is in dire need of repair. The Parish Council is and has been seeking estimates to complete the necessary work. Some bids have already been received. We expect to begin this project as soon as possible. Please, pray for a successful completion of this work for the good of our parish. God Bless!!! Thank you! God Bless!
- OFFERING ENVELOPES for the year 2024 Anno Domini are available in the narthex. Please, take your box of envelopes with you and return them, with your generous donation, in support of your Parish. Thank you and God Bless!
- A CHRISTMAS COOKIES AND TREATS event will be sponsored by our Parish next weekend - Saturday and Sunday, 16-17 December, 2023, from high noon until 2:00PM! Homemade goodies for the Holydays will be available to add sweetness to your Holyday Table! More info is available in the narthex/vestibule! God Bless! 7a- WE ASK our parishioners and friends to support this special event by baking and/or providing your own special Holyday goodies! We really appreciate your help! Thank You and God Bless!
- OUR PARISH SUNDAY SCHOOL is planning to present the Nativity YOLKA on Sunday, 14 January, 2024! All children and young adults are invited to participate. This YOLKA (which is a re-enactment of the Birth of our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ) will be held in our Parish School/Center following Divine Liturgy. We will sing Christmas Carols, enjoy the production, have a fine lunch AND welcome a “special visit from SAINT NICHOLAS”! Make plans to be there! God Bless!
9.VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com. Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month. Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you!
- THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection * in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
- JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution to the Cathedraticum for the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your Cathedraticum envelopes. God Bless!
- LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at - www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM. - www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore, (Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
- A WORD of “THANKS!” to our faithful parishioners and friends who tend to the beauty of the temple/church and parish grounds and cemetery. You know what “they say – no one notices housekeeping and landscaping work unless it is NOT done.” YOUR WORK in the House-of-God and its properties does not go un-noticed. We appreciate your labours and know that the Lord God blesses and accepts your offering of time and talent. Again , “THANK YOU” for caring about the beauty of the House of God, its property and cemetery.. God Bless you!
- THE MAINTENANCE on our cupola is complete. It looks simply beautiful and compliments the uniqueness of our temple and helps to foster an atmosphere of prayerfulness and being in the House of God. Thank you, dear parishioners and friends, for your prayers and support of this project. Please, continue to show support by donating whatever amounts you can afford to help bring this effort to a successful conclusion. God Bless!
- THE JANUARY meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for Sunday, 31 December, 2023. The session will be held in the Parish Hall following the conclusion of Divine Liturgy. All Council members are asked to attend. Parishioners and welcome, too. God Bless!
PRAY FOR PEACE IN UKRAINE
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]