- WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128. God Bless you! Are you a registered parishioner?
- SUNDAY SCHOOL classes for the current school year are now in session! The classes are held in the upper classroom at the School-Center after Divine Liturgy. May the Lord Bless our Sunday School teachers, staff, students and parents/grandparents with a fruitful year of learning about and practicing our Orthodox Christian Faith. God Bless you!
- MANY THANKS to all who came yesterday (Saturday, 16 October) to help repair and maintain the fence at the back of our Parish cemetery. You early risers are much appreciated! Again, “Thank You” and God Bless you!
- THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING of Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church, Scranton, Pennsylvania, is scheduled for next Sunday, 24 October, 2021. The meeting will be held in the Parish Hall following Divine Liturgy. All parishioners are welcome and encouraged to attend. Come to our Parish Pow-Wow! God Bless!
- FALL BACK! Eastern Standard Time resumes at 2:00AM on Sunday, 7 November, 2021. Remember to set your clocks BACK ONE HOUR before going to bed on Saturday night. We get that extra hour of sleep back that we lost in March. Pleasant dreams! Be on time for church Sunday morning! God Bless!
- OUR ANNUAL Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner will be held on Sunday, 14 November, 2021. This ALL-PARISH EVENT will be TAKE-OUT ONLY. Oven roasted turkey, prepared by our master chefs in our own ovens, highlights the bill-of-fare. Home-made dressing, potatoes, vegetable and dessert complete the main course. Dinners will be available in the Parish Hall starting at high noon until about 2:00PM (or until all the turkey is “gobbled”-up!) Tickets for this All Parish Event are being distributed to all parishioners. Additional tickets may be obtained at the door for a donation of still only $12.00 per dinner. Enjoy! Tell your family and friends! And many thanks for your support! God Bless!
- OUR SINCERE gratitude to our Parishioners who have continued their faithful prayerful and financial support of our Parish during this pandemic. Although some parishioners decided it was safer to avoid coming to church because of personal health issues and concerns about the virus, your continued financial support is much appreciated and needed. Our Parish expenses continue to come despite our concerns about the virus. It has sometimes been a struggle to “make ends meet” considering we are now involved in interior church renovations, since the roof has been replaced. “Thank You!” for your continued and generous support of your Parish. May the Lord God Bless you and guide us through these difficult times. God Bless!
- CHURCH CLEANING for the week of 17 October: TEAM 4 : Maria Lozada, Stephen Dreater, Donna Ferkile, Barbara Ferkile, Michael Senyk and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and the main aisle before leaving church today. Thank you and God Bless! We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to clean the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday). God Bless! I WAS GLAD WHEN THEY SAID UNTO ME: LET US GO UP UNTO THE HOUSE OF THE LORD!
- HAVE YOU noticed that our church parking lot was re-paved? Our parking area is now more aesthetic, smooth (bereft of grass and potholes!) and safer for pedestrians and vehicles. Donations towards the parking lot renovation are being accepted. Thank you for your support. God Bless!
- THE NEW roof on our church is completed! It took a long time – there was much to do, but now it is finished. Glory to God! However, the project isn’t completely over just yet. The next phase is to tend to touching-up the interior walls and ceiling in the church. This will begin in the near future. Estimates for this work are now being gathered. We thank our parishioners for their prayers, understanding, co-operation, support and contributions during the time our roof was undergoing replacement. We know that it was a somewhat difficult time and we appreciate your patience and long-suffering. God Bless all of you! 10a. A BIRD’S EYE (not Clarence) view of our church roof can be seen by logging on to our website; click on photos, then exterior: Voila! you see what the Canadian geese see!
- VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month.* Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you! * The cost to keep our website up and running on-line has increased. This is the first increase since our website began several years ago. Your continued support, encouragement and generosity are very much appreciated.
- THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
- JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution to the Cathedraticum for the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your Cathedraticum envelopes. BE SURE TO USE THE “CATHEDRATICUM” ENVELOPE THIS MONTH! God Bless!
- LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at- www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM. - www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore, (Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
15.SSPPPSBB [SaintS Peter and Paul Public Service Bulletin Board]: - SAINT STEPHEN RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH, Old Forge, is sponsoring a Krispy Kreme Doughnuts FUNDRAISING EVENT UNTIL 27 October. Enjoy delicious Krispy Kreme treats and help support Saint Stephen's Church, too. How sweet it is! For more information and particulars, please, see Dr. Michael Senyk. Doughnut Day is 1 November! God Bless!
Petitions offered up at the Augmented Litany of Divine Liturgy, during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
- Again we pray Thee, O Lord our God, that Thou mightest mercifully protect us from the devastating pestilence
stirred up against us, and deliver Thy faithful people from spiritual and physical death; grant unto the sick healing and health, and unto all of us Thy divine protection and help; we pray Thee, O kind-hearted Lord, quickly hearken and have mercy.
- Again we pray, that Thou mightest pacify the troubles of men and every fearful thing, compass Thy faithful about with firm hope, and instill in our hearts quietude; we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy.
Prayer read during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
O Lord our God, enter not into judgement with Thy servants, and compass us about with protection from the devastating pestilence stirred up against us. O kind-hearted Lord Who art inclined toward benevolence, have compassion on us, Thy humble and unworthy servants, who fall down before Thee with broken hearts and hope in Thy mercy.
For Thine it is to show mercy and to save us, O our God, and unto Thee do we send up glory: to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
+ + + + + +
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]