TODAY THE ORTHODOX CHURCH CELEBRATES THE GREAT FEAST OF THE HOLY TRINITY / PENTECOST. Fifty days after His glorious Resurrection from the dead, and ten days after His Ascension into Heaven, our Lord, God and Saviour JESUS CHRIST, in fulfillment of His promise, sent the Most HOLY SPIRIT upon His Apostles and Disciples and strengthened and enlightened them in preparation for their mission of preaching the Gospel to every creature, Baptizing “in the name of the FATHER and of the SON and of the HOLY SPIRIT” and promising to be with His Church until the end of the age. All Orthodox Christians receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit at the time of Baptism and Chrismation. May the Holy Spirit strengthen us and keep us in the True Faith O MOST HOLY TRINITY, HAVE MERCY ON US!
- WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory a 570 -343-8128. God Bless you!
- SUNDAY SCHOOL classes for the current school year are in hiatus for the summer months. We express our sincere gratitude to our teachers, Maryann Capwell and Elena Shurdom, for their time and dedication to our Sunday School programme. Thanks, also, to the parents and grandparents and all who support our Sunday School. We hope that the students will use their religious education to help guide their daily lives and stay close to our Lord Jesus Christ, the Most Holy Theotokos and all the Saints. Sunday School classes will resume in September. In the meantime, come to church every Sunday! Remember – there is NO vacation from church. God Bless you!
- TODAY, we celebrate FATHERS DAY! We extend to all the Fathers, Grandfathers, Godfathers and all men of our Parish our sincere wishes for God’s Blessings on this special day. “Thank you” for all that you do for your families and for our Parish. May the Lord God Bless you with Peace, Good Health, Prosperity, Salvation and MANY YEARS! MNOGAYA LETA! MANY YEARS! To our Fathers, Grandfathers, Godfathers and all men of our Parish who have fallen-asleep in the Lord in the hope of the Resurrection may the Lord God grant them rest eternal in blessed repose with the saints in the Kingdom of Heaven and make their memory to be eternal. MEMORY ETERNAL! VECHNAYA PAMYAT! MEMORY ETERNAL!
- OUR SINCERE gratitude to our Parishioners who have continued their faithful prayerful and financial support of our Parish during this pandemic. Although some parishioners decided it was safer to avoid coming to church because of personal health issues and concerns about the virus, your continued financial support is much appreciated and needed. Our Parish expenses continue to come despite our concerns about the virus. It has sometimes been a struggle to “make ends meet” considering we are now involved in interior church renovations, since the roof has been replaced. So “Thank You!” for your continued and generous support of your Parish. May the Lord God Bless you and guide us through these difficult times. God Bless!
- CHURCH CLEANING for the week of 20 June: TEAM 2 : Maryann Capwell, Barbara Togher, Marie Vass and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and the main aisle before leaving church today. Thank you and God Bless! We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to clean the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday). God Bless! O HEAVENLY KING, THE COMFORTER, THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH, WHO ART EVERYWHERE PRESENT AND FILLEST ALL THINGS, TREASURY OF BLESSINGS AND GIVER OF LIFE, COME AND ABIDE IN US, AND CLEANSE US FROM EVERY IMPURITY, AND SAVE OUR SOULS, O GOOD ONE!
- THE NEW roof on our church is completed! It took a long time – there was much to do, but now it is finished. Glory to God! However, the project isn’t completely over just yet. The next phase is to tend to touching-up the interior walls and ceiling in the church. This will begin in the near future. Estimates for this work are now being gathered. We thank our parishioners for their prayers, understanding, co-operation, support and contributions during the time our roof was undergoing replacement. We know that it was a somewhat difficult time and we appreciate your patience and long-suffering. God Bless all of you!
- OUR ANNUAL CHICKEN BAR-BE-QUE will be held on Sunday, 18 July, from 12:30PM until 2:00PM (or ‘till all the chickens fly the coop!). This will be a TAKE-OUT-ONLY event. Tickets for this All-Parish affair are now being distributed to all parishioners. Please, pick-up your tickets in the narthex today. Additional tickets are available for a donation of $12.00 per dinner. Headlining the Bill-of-Fare is one half chicken specially seasoned and basted with our own secret sauce and skillfully cooked over an open-pit fire. Seasoned vegetable and potatoes accompany the main course. All are welcome! God Bless! 7a. YOUR HELP in making this BBQ a success is most important and needed. If you can help in any way, please, do so. Particulars about how you might be able to help will be forthcoming. Thank you and God Bless!
- VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month.* Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you! * The cost to keep our website up and running on-line has increased. This is the first increase since our website began several years ago. Your continued support, encouragement and generosity are very much appreciated. Our website has undergone a makeover! You will see a “new look” to our digital home base. MANY THANKS to our web-servant who afforded much time, effort and attention to this upgrade to our cyber presence. Visit us on line often – with mask or without – you are welcome! God Bless! Nota Bene: Father Basil’s e-mail address is temporarily out-of-service due to the website reconstruction. A new address will be available soon. It will be listed on the website ASAP. Meanwhile, should you need to contact Father Basil, please, use the telephone! 570-343-8128 (if no answer, wait 8 rings and leave a message.)
- THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. God Bless! [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
- JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution to the Cathedraticum for the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your Cathedraticum envelopes. God Bless!
- LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at- www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM. - www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore, (Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
Petitions offered up at the Augmented Litany of Divine Liturgy, during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
- Again we pray Thee, O Lord our God, that Thou mightest mercifully protect us from the devastating pestilence
stirred up against us, and deliver Thy faithful people from spiritual and physical death; grant unto the sick healing and health, and unto all of us Thy divine protection and help; we pray Thee, O kind-hearted Lord, quickly hearken and have mercy.
- Again we pray, that Thou mightest pacify the troubles of men and every fearful thing, compass Thy faithful about with firm hope, and instill in our hearts quietude; we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy.
Prayer read during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
O Lord our God, enter not into judgement with Thy servants, and compass us about with protection from the devastating pestilence stirred up against us. O kind-hearted Lord Who art inclined toward benevolence, have compassion on us, Thy humble and unworthy servants, who fall down before Thee with broken hearts and hope in Thy mercy.
For Thine it is to show mercy and to save us, O our God, and unto Thee do we send up glory: to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
+ + + + + +
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]