1897 – Celebrating our 125th Anniversary - 2022
- WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128*. God Bless you! Are you a registered parishioner?
- SUNDAY SCHOOL classes are held each Sunday. The sessions are held in the upper classroom at the School-Center following Divine Liturgy. We thank our teachers, staff, parents, grandparents and all who support our Sunday School Programme. May the Lord God help us to learn about and to faithfully practice our Orthodox Faith and Traditions. God Bless!
- WE ARE CURRENTLY in the time of THE NATIVITY FAST which continues until the Great Feast of the Nativity of Christ, 7 January, 2023 (25 December, 2022 on the Julian Calendar). We encourage our parishioners to observe this important time of preparation for the Nativity Feast; do not simply disregard it, but let us keep this fast as best as we can. As Orthodox Christians we prepare for the coming of the Messiah with prayer and fasting, confessing our sins and receiving the Body and Blood of Christ in Holy Communion; then, when the day arrives, we give thanks to the Lord God for His great mercy in sending the Redeemer, His Son our Lord Jesus Christ, and we rejoice in our reconciliation with God. May we, dear brothers and sisters, keep this time of the Nativity Fast not so much in getting ready for “the holidays”, but in preparing us to greet and welcome our Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ into the world and into our personal lives. God Bless you!
- HAPPENING TODAY, Sunday, 4 December: - We celebrate the Feast of the Entrance of the Most Holy Mother-of-God into the Temple. “MOST HOLY THEOTOKOS, SAVE US!” - Coffee Hour is planned at the Parish Center. Stop-in after Divine Liturgy and enjoy a warming cup of coffee or tea and a delicious nosh while spending quality time with fellow parishioners. “Everybody of you is welcome!”(as +Bishop MAKARY was wont to say). - The Parish Council is scheduled to meet for its regular, monthly session. All Council members are asked to attend. God Bless!
- CHURCH CLEANING for this week, 4 December : TEAM 4 --- Michael Senyk and anyone else who can and cares enough to help. Please, remember to tend to the Holy Icons, candlestands and the main aisle before leaving church today. We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to attend to the cleanliness of the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday). Thank you and God Bless! HOW LOVELY IS THY DWELLING PLACE, O LORD OF HOSTS!
- OUR PARISH is planning to hold a CHRISTMAS COOKIES AND TREATS sale this month. We ask our parishioners and friends to support this event by making your favourite Christmas Cookies and various treats for this sweet sale. More information is posted on the bulletin board in the vestibule. Let’s make this event a sweet success! Many thanks for your help! God Bless!
- OUR SINCERE gratitude to our Parishioners who have continued their faithful prayerful and financial support of our Parish during these continuing pandemic and now inflationary times. Although some parishioners decided it was safer to avoid coming to church because of personal health issues and concerns about the virus, your continued financial support is much appreciated and needed. Our Parish expenses continue to come despite our concerns about the virus. It has sometimes been a struggle to “make ends meet” considering we are now involved in interior and exterior church renovations, since the roof has been replaced. “Thank You!” for your continued and generous support of your Parish. May the Lord God Bless you and guide us through these difficult times. God Bless!
- VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month. Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you!
- THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection * in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
- JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution to the Cathedraticum for the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your Cathedraticum envelopes. God Bless!
- LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at - www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM. - www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore, (Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
PRAY FOR PEACE IN UKRAINE.
NOTA BENE: Necessary exterior work is being done on the cupola (as weather permits). The windows at the base of the cupola need to be re-sealed and several fasteners on the outside must be replaced. Please, pray for the successful completion of this project. Thank you for your understanding, co-operation and support. God Bless!
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]