TODAY THE ORTHODOX CHURCH CELEBRATES THE GREAT FEAST OF THE HOLY TRINITY – PENTECOST.
Fifty days after His glorious Resurrection from the dead, and ten days after His Ascension into Heaven, our Lord, God and Saviour JESUS CHRIST, in fulfillment of His promise, sent the Most HOLY SPIRIT upon His Apostles and Disciples and strengthened and enlightened them in preparation for their mission of preaching the Gospel to every creature, “Baptizing in the Name of the FATHER, and of the SON and of the HOY SPIRIT” and promising to be with His Church until the end of the age.
As Orthodox Christians, we receive the Gifts of the HOLY SPIRIT at the time of our Baptism and Chrismation. May the HOLY SPIRIT strengthen us and keep us in the True Faith.
MOST HOLY TRINITY, HAVE MERCY ON US!
WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128 (if no answer, let phone ring 8 times and leave a message.) God Bless you! Are you a registered parishioner?
- SUNDAY SCHOOL classes are in hiatus for the summer months. We look forward to welcoming back our staff and students when classes resume in September. Remember… There is no vacation from church! One of the Ten Commandments is REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY, TO KEEP IT HOLY! For Orthodox Christians the Sabbath Day is Sunday – the day of Resurrection – EVERY SUNDAY. Enjoy the summer; Come to Church for Sunday Divine Liturgy. God Bless you!
- CHURCH CLEANING for this week, 4 June: TEAM 3 --- Sandar Wallick, Mary Ann Hogan, Sonja Czachor and anyone else who can and cares enough to help. Please, remember to tend to the Holy Icons, candlestands and the main aisle before leaving church today. We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to attend to the cleanliness of the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday). Thank you and God Bless! N.B. We need a few more helpers on our cleaning teams – women and men! If you can afford to help for an hour or two each month or so, please, inform Father Basil. Thanks for your help! God Bless!
- HAPPENING NEXT SUNDAY, 11 June: - In deference to the Great Feast of the HOLY TRINITY: The monthly meeting of our Parish Council is transferred to next Sunday, 11 June, 2023, following Divine Liturgy. All Council members are asked to attend. - Coffee Hour is planned at the Parish School-Center prior to the Meeting. All parishioners and friends are welcome! God Bless!
- VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month. Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you!
- THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection * in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
- JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution to the Cathedraticum for the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your Cathedraticum envelopes. God Bless!
- LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at - www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM. - www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore, (Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
- THE MAINTENANCE on our cupola is complete. It looks simply beautiful and compliments the uniqueness of our temple and helps to foster an atmosphere of prayerfulness and being in the House of God. Thank you, dear parishioners and friends, for your prayers and support of this project. Please, continue to show support by donating whatever amounts you can afford to help bring this effort to a successful conclusion. God Bless!
- OUR ANNUAL All Parish CHICKEN BAR-B-QUE is planned for Sunday, 16 July, 2023! Tender, succulent half-chickens, grilled over an open pit charcoal fire by seasoned chefs artfully using a special, top-secret barbecue sauce is the main attraction on the Bill-of-Fare. The tantalizing aroma of grilling chickens escapes the barbecue pit and wafts across West Scranton and beyond, gently beckoning hungry people to come and enjoy a phenomenal meal! This year’s event will be “Eat-in or Take-out”. Serving begins at about High Noon and continues until “sold out” and all the chickens fly the coop! Tickets will soon be distributed to all parishioners. Additional tickets may be obtained at the candle-desk for a donation of $15.00 per dinner. Many thanks for your help in making this year’s Chicken BBQ a tasty and successful affair! God Bless! 10a. CALLING ALL BAKERS! Your help in providing dessert cakes for the BBQ is greatly appreciated. Please, bake (or donate) a cake or two for this popular All-Parish event. Your help and co-operation is really necessary – now more than ever! Thank you for supporting our parish! God Bless you!
PRAY FOR PEACE IN UKRAINE.
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]