- WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128. God Bless you! Are you a registered parishioner?
- SUNDAY SCHOOL classes for the current school year are in hiatus for the summer months. Sunday School classes will resume in September. In the meantime, come to church every Sunday! Remember – there is NO vacation from church. God Bless you!
- A THOUSAND THANKS to our parishioners and friends who helped make last week’s CHICKEN BAR-B-QUE DINNER (take-out only!) a sterling success! Your help in preparation before the BBQ, serving logistics, packaging orders, attending to visitors’ requests, and keeping all operations running smoothly was fantastic! Extra thanks to the clean-up crew for their talents! And how ‘bout the grill masters?!! They did an excellent job in providing the best barbecued chicken in all of Scranton (and beyond). God Bless all of you who supported this annual event! 3a. IF YOU would like a re-play on the chicken - there are a few bbq’d chicken halves (frozen) at the Center. See Sonja for details on how to get yours. “Thank You”, again, to everyone who supported this dinner. God Bless you!
- OUR SINCERE gratitude to our Parishioners who have continued their faithful prayerful and financial support of our Parish during this pandemic. Although some parishioners decided it was safer to avoid coming to church because of personal health issues and concerns about the virus, your continued financial support is much appreciated and needed. Our Parish expenses continue to come despite our concerns about the virus. It has sometimes been a struggle to “make ends meet” considering we are now involved in interior church renovations, since the roof has been replaced. “Thank You!” for your continued and generous support of your Parish. May the Lord God Bless you and guide us through these difficult times. God Bless!
- CHURCH CLEANING for the week of 25 July: TEAM 4 : Maria Lozada, Donna Ferkile, Barbara Ferkile, Stephen Dreater, Michael Senyk and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and the main aisle before leaving church today. Thank you and God Bless! We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to clean the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday). God Bless! I WAS GLAD WHEN THEY SAID UNTO ME: “LET US GO UP UNTO THE HOUSE OF THE LORD!”
- HAPPENING NEXT SUNDAY, 1 AUGUST: - Coffee Hour is planned at the Parish Hall. Stop-in after Liturgy and enjoy a tasty nosh while spending a bit of time in pleasant company. “Everybody of you” is welcome! - The August 50/50 is on the docket. Shares for this popular lotto are available for a donation of one dollar per share. Perhaps August is your month to take the big prize?!! Mazel tov! - The Parish Council is scheduled to convene for its regular, monthly session. The meeting will be held in the Parish Hall following Divine Liturgy. All Council members are asked to attend. God Bless!
- THE NEW roof on our church is completed! It took a long time – there was much to do, but now it is finished. Glory to God! However, the project isn’t completely over just yet. The next phase is to tend to touching-up the interior walls and ceiling in the church. This will begin in the near future. Estimates for this work are now being gathered. We thank our parishioners for their prayers, understanding, co-operation, support and contributions during the time our roof was undergoing replacement. We know that it was a somewhat difficult time and we appreciate your patience and long-suffering. God Bless all of you! 7a. WOULD YOU like to SEE what our church’s NEW ROOF looks like? You can get a bird’s eye view by going to our parish website. On the Home page- click on PHOTOS, then click CHURCH EXTERIOR and Voila! – you will see what the robins, starlings and crows see! These photos are provided by Robert Lozada. Many thanks! God Bless!
- VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month.* Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you! * The cost to keep our website up and running on-line has increased. This is the first increase since our website began several years ago. Your continued support, encouragement and generosity are very much appreciated. Our website has undergone a makeover! You will see a “new look” to our digital home base. MANY THANKS to our web-servant who afforded much time, effort and attention to this upgrade to our cyber presence. Visit us on line often – you are welcome! God Bless! Nota Bene: Father Basil’s e-mail address is temporarily out-of-service due to the website reconstruction. A new address will be available soon. It will be listed on the website ASAP. Meanwhile, should you need to contact Father Basil, please, use the telephone! 570-343-8128 (if no answer, wait 8 rings and leave a message.)
- THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. God Bless! [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
- JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution to the Cathedraticum for the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your Cathedraticum envelopes. God Bless!
- LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at- www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM. - www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore, (Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
- SAINT JOHN’S CATHEDRAL, Mayfield, is sponsoring a ROAST PORK DINNER (Take-Out Only) on Saturday, 7 August, at the Parish Center, from 11:00AM until 3:00PM. Donation: $12 per dinner. Advance tickets recommended. For tickets and more information call Saint John’s rectory at 570-876-0730. God Bless!
Petitions offered up at the Augmented Litany of Divine Liturgy, during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
- Again we pray Thee, O Lord our God, that Thou mightest mercifully protect us from the devastating pestilence
stirred up against us, and deliver Thy faithful people from spiritual and physical death; grant unto the sick healing and health, and unto all of us Thy divine protection and help; we pray Thee, O kind-hearted Lord, quickly hearken and have mercy.
- Again we pray, that Thou mightest pacify the troubles of men and every fearful thing, compass Thy faithful about with firm hope, and instill in our hearts quietude; we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy.
Prayer read during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
O Lord our God, enter not into judgement with Thy servants, and compass us about with protection from the devastating pestilence stirred up against us. O kind-hearted Lord Who art inclined toward benevolence, have compassion on us, Thy humble and unworthy servants, who fall down before Thee with broken hearts and hope in Thy mercy.
For Thine it is to show mercy and to save us, O our God, and unto Thee do we send up glory: to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
+ + + + + +
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]