CHRIST IS BORN!! GLORIFY HIM!!
1. WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship
the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a member, please, see
Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128.
God Bless you!
2. SUNDAY SCHOOL classes for the current scholastic year are in session. Sessions are held in the upper classrooms of
the Parish Hall each Sunday after Divine Liturgy. All students in grades Pre-K through 8 are expected to attend religious
education classes. Parents and grandparents are asked to encourage their (grand)children to be in class each Sunday.
Many thanks for your continued and important cooperation. God Bless!
3. OUR SUNDAY SCHOOL will present its annual YOLKA today, Sunday, 13 January, 2019. This special event, honouring
the Nativity of Christ, will take place in the Parish Center following Divine Liturgy. We will see a play telling us about the
Birth of our Lord Jesus, sing carols in honour of the Feast and enjoy festive fellowship. Plan to be there. It is said, too,
that a special visit from Saint Nicholas might be expected at the Yolka! O KTO, KTO…!
4. FOR GOD AND COUNTRY: The Parish Council has favourably considered a proposal to begin the process of securing a
Parish Veterans Memorial Plaque in our church vestibule. This plaque will contain the names (and other vital
information) of members of our Parish who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America during time
of war or peacetime, active service or reserve. We ask your help in finding their names, dates of service, branch of service,
medals awarded, engagement in major military campaigns and any other information you may provide. A sample plaque
will be available for inspection before the final plaque is fabricated. Your help is very much appreciated. Nomination
forms are available in the church vestibule. Completer forms may be returned to the candle-desk. Please, contact George
Kofira, Chairman, with any questions. God Bless America!
5. THE ROOF on our church needs to be repaired/ replaced. This is an important and major project for us which must be
addressed. The estimate for the roof repair/ replacement, as accepted at the Special Parish Meeting held on 5 August, is
$43,445.00. We need your help; please, make an offering for the Roof Fund. Thanks! God Bless! In addition, a second
collection will be taken each Sunday to benefit the Roof Fund. Your understanding and consideration are very much
appreciated. Please, pray for the success of this important work. Initial repairs have begun! With the weather’s co-
operation, temporary patches have been applied to strategic areas on the church roof. This will prevent further damage,
with the completion of the roof project to happen after the winter. Thank you and God Bless!
6. CHURCH CLEANING for the week of 13 January: TEAM 4 – Maria Lozada, Donna Ferkile, Stephen Dreater,
Michael Senyk and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and the main aisle before
leaving church today. Thank you. We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements
to clean the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday, after Liturgy). If you can offer an hour or two
each month to help keep our church in proper condition, please, use the sign-up sheet at the candle-desk and let us know
you are willing to help our church. Thank you and God Bless you!
BLESS THE CROWN OF THE YEAR WITH THY GOODNESS, O LORD!
7. VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com
Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of
just $15 per month. Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-
line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you!
8. THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If
you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple,
please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for
the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. God
Bless! [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you
9. JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution for the Cathedraticum to the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars
per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian
Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your “Cathedraticum” envelopes. God Bless!
10. LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at:
- www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s
Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM.
- www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore,
(Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM
This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine
Liturgy.. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday.
11. WE ARE looking for someone who is willing and able and equipped to plow our parking lot after snowfalls this winter
(not necessarily a parishioner, and not necessarily without compensation – though that would be nice). If you know of
someone who might be interested in plowing the snow from our parking lot, please, inform Father Basil or any member of
the Parish Council. Thanks for your help!
12. WINTER has officially arrived in NEPA! However, dear brothers and sisters, do not despair.
By God’s design, the vernal equinox (spring) arrives in Scranton on Wednesday, 20 March, 2019, at 5:59PM Eastern
Daylight Time! Its only 66 days until spring! BUT don’t put those snow shovels away just yet!!! Pitchers and catchers
(NYY) report on 13 February (Tampa)!
Be of good cheer!
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul
Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life.
Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]
+ + + + + + +