1. WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit
and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps,
becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or
phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128. God Bless you!
2. SUNDAY SCHOOL classes are in hiatus for the summer months. We thank our teachers for their dedication,
patience and love in helping our students learn more about their Orthodox Faith and its traditions and practices.
We wish our teachers and students a blessed and enjoyable summer recess! Sunday School classes will resume
on Sunday, 20 September. Remember: There is NO VACATION from church and Divine Liturgy even during
the summer! See you in church! God Bless!
3. HAPPENING NEXT Sunday, 5 July:
Lackawanna County is in the “green” re-opening phase.
- The Parish Council is scheduled to meet for its regular, July session. The meeting will take place in the Parish
Hall after Divine Liturgy. All Council members are asked to attend.
- Coffee Hour will be held prior to the Council meeting. You are welcome to stop-by at the Parish Hall and
enjoy good fellowship and a tasty nosh. – Apostles Fast observed.
[“social distancing” guidelines are at your own informed discretion.]
- The July 50/50 will be held during Coffee Hour. Shares for this popular lotto are available for a donation of
one dollar per share. Perhaps the “Welcome Back” July 50/50 will bring a bit of cold cash to your hot
summer?!! Thanks for your support! God Bless!
4. CHURCH CLEANING for the week of 28 June: TEAM 2 : Maryann Capwell, Barbara Togher, Marie
Vass, Mary Orzolek and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and the main
aisle before leaving church today. Thank you and God Bless! We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that
the assigned Team make arrangements to clean the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on
Sunday). God Bless!
O LORD, I LOVE THE PLACE IN WHICH THOU DWELLEST,
THE TENTING PLACE OF THY GLORY!
5. OUR ANNUAL All-Parish Chicken Bar-Be-Que is planned for Sunday, 19 July.
Please, note: This Bar-B-Q will be TAKE-OUT ONLY (in compliance with current state regulations due to the
virus). The Bill-of-Fare boasts an half chicken, carefully barbequed over an open-pit charcoal fire and basted
with our own, super secret, famous BBQ sauce until its done just right. BUT WAIT! That’s not all!
Accompaniments include parslied potatoes, sweet-‘n-sour coleslaw, savoury beans and dessert. Tickets for this
all-parish event are being distributed to all parishioners. Additional tickets are available for a donation of $12
per dinner. Take-outs start after Divine Liturgy, at about High Noon, and continue until all the chickens have
flown the coop! Tell your family and friends about this Chicken BBQ,
Everybody of you is welcome! Bon appetit! God Bless!
5a. WE ASK all bakers, please, to make their specialty cakes for dessert at the BBQ. Thank you and God Bless
6. THE PARISH COUNCIL is next scheduled to meet next Sunday, 5 July. The session will be held in the
Parish Hall following Divine Liturgy. All Council members are asked to attend.
7.THE FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY of the Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in the
United States of America is being observed this year. Our Parish in Scranton has been a faithful member of the
Patriarchal Parishes for all of those 50 years. Plans have been made to celebrate this sacred event on a
national scale. However, due to the unforeseen arrival of the coronavirus pandemic, and its life-altering effects,
it is not known whether or not any of the celebratory events will actually take place. SO, with this in mind,
perhaps it would be a blessing for us to mark this holy event, as a faithful Parish of the Patriarchal Parishes,
with our own celebration. SO, on Sunday, 29 June/12 July, 2020, the Feastday of the Chiefs-of-the-Apostles
PETER and PAUL (our Parish Altar Feast), we will gather for Divine Liturgy and offer a Thanksgiving
Moleben afterwards in gratitude to the Lord God for His bountiful blessings upon us and in prayerful hope that
The Lord God, through the intercessions of Apostles PETER and PAUL, will continue to look favourably upon
our Parish and all the Parishes of the Patriarchal Parishes in the United States of America.
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
8. THE ROOF on our church needs to be repaired/ replaced. This is an important and major project for us
which must be addressed. The estimate for the roof repair/ replacement, as accepted at the Special Parish
Meeting held on 5 August, 2018, is $43,445.00. We need your help; please, make an offering for the Roof
Fund. Thanks! God Bless! In addition, a second collection will be taken each Sunday to benefit the Roof Fund.
Your understanding and consideration are very much appreciated. Please, pray for the success of this important
work. Initial repairs have begun! Roofing materials have been delivered. Work on replacing the roof will begin
very soon! God Bless!
9. VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com
Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more.
Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month.* Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex.
We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website
for a month or more. God Bless you!
* The cost to keep our website up and running on-line has increased. This is the first increase since our website
began several years ago. Your continued support, encouragement and generosity are very much appreciated.
10. THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our
church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main
body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and
salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is
requested to cover the cost of candles. God Bless! [A “link” has been included on our website for more
information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
11. JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution for the Cathedraticum to the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty
($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please,
actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your “Cathedraticum” envelopes.
12. LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at- www.stjohnsmayfield.org
and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, -
Sunday at 9:30AM.
- www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore,
(Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM
This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the
Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
13. DID YOU receive your stimulus check from Uncle Sam (signed by President Trump!)? Please, consider
“stimulating” our Parish by sharing whatever amount you can.
The extended “social distancing” and “stay-at-home” directives have adversely affected our fundraising
efforts. Your generosity is very much appreciated. God Bless!
14. WE ARE currently in the time of the APOSTLES FAST. This Fast continues until 12 July - the Feast of
Apostles Peter and Paul. Try to observe this Fast as best as you can. It is an important time for our Parish, since
we are under the heavenly protection of Apostles Peter and Paul. God Bless!
Petitions offered up at the Augmented Litany of Divine Liturgy, during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
- Again we pray Thee, O Lord our God, that Thou mightest mercifully protect us from the devastating pestilence
stirred up against us, and deliver Thy faithful people from spiritual and physical death; grant unto the sick healing and
health, and unto all of us Thy divine protection and help; we pray Thee, O kind-hearted Lord, quickly hearken and have
- Again we pray, that Thou mightest pacify the troubles of men and every fearful thing, compass Thy faithful about
with firm hope, and instill in our hearts quietude; we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy.
Prayer read during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
O Lord our God, enter not into judgement with Thy servants, and compass us about with protection from the
devastating pestilence stirred up against us. O kind-hearted Lord Who art inclined toward benevolence, have
compassion on us, Thy humble and unworthy servants, who fall down before Thee with broken hearts and hope in Thy
For Thine it is to show mercy and to save us, O our God, and unto Thee do we send up glory: to the Father, and to the
Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
+ + + + + +
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and
Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire
life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]
+ + + + + + +