1. WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship
the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a member, please, see
Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128.
God Bless you!
2. SUNDAY SCHOOL classes for the current scholastic year are in session. Sessions are held in the upper classrooms of
the Parish Hall each Sunday after Divine Liturgy. All students in grades Pre-K through 8 are expected to attend religious
education classes. Parents and grandparents are asked to encourage their (grand)children to be in class each Sunday.
Many thanks for your continued and important cooperation. God Bless!
3. WE ARE currently in the time of the NATIVITY FAST which continues until the Great Feast of the Nativity of Christ (25
December/7 January). Please, try to keep this fast as best as you can. It is an important tool in helping us prepare for the
coming Great Feast. May the Lord help us in this effort!
4. HAPPENING TODAY and next SUNDAY ( 9 and 16 December): OUR PARISH is sponsoring a COOKIE SALE for the
upcoming Holydays! Stop in at the Parish Center after Divine Liturgy today and choose from a wide variety of cookies and
other homemade baked treats. What a sweet way to top-off your “holiday” feast! Enjoy!
5. OUR CONTINUING Adult Religious Education Seminar continues this Tuesday 11th and next Tuesday, 18th
December. The session will be held in the comfortably appointed upper classroom at our Parish School-Center. It will
begin at 7:00PM and last about one hour. The text for our discussion will be “The Law of God”. Parishioners and non-
parishioners, Orthodox and yet-to-be Orthodox are welcome to attend. This presentation is suitable for those who are
high-school age and beyond. Various questions shall be entertained; answers might be given, too. Come and let us learn
about our Orthodox Christian Faith. God Bless!
6. THE DECEMBER 50/50 was held last Sunday during Coffee Hour. A total of 50 “shares” was available, making the
winner’s “share” 25. And the most fortunate recipient of the December 50/50 is ….(drum roll, please)……… Marie Vass!
Congratulations! Many thanks to all our parishioners and friends who support our various fundraisers. God Bless!
7. THE ROOF on our church needs to be repaired/ replaced. This is an important and major project for us which must be
addressed. The estimate for the roof repair/ replacement, as accepted at the Special Parish Meeting held on 5 August, is
$43,445.00. We need your help; please, make an offering for the Roof Fund. Thanks! God Bless! In addition, a second
collection will be taken each Sunday to benefit the Roof Fund. Your understanding and consideration are very much
appreciated. Please, pray for the success of this important work. The wet weather has necessitated a delay in our roof
project. However, initial work is set to begin very soon, with the completion to happen after the winter. Thank you and
8. CHURCH CLEANING for the week of 9 December : TEAM 2 – Maryann Capwell, Barbara Togher, Mary Orzolek,
Marie Vass and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and the main aisle before leaving
church today. Thank you. We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to
clean the church more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday, after Liturgy). If you can offer an hour or two
each month to help keep our church in proper condition, please, use the sign-up sheet at the candle-desk and let us know
you are willing to help our church. Thank you and God Bless you!
HOW LOVELY IS THY DWELLING PLACE, O LORD OF HOSTS!
9. VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com Keep up with news and Divine
Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $15 per month.
Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE,
favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you!
10. THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If
you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple,
please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for
the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. God
Bless! [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you
11. DUE TO liturgical directives for the Feast of the Nativity of Christ, the January (2019) meeting of the Parish Council
has been rescheduled. The January session of the Parish Council will be held on Sunday, 30 December, 2018. As usual, it
will take place in the Parish Center following Divine Liturgy. All Council members are asked to attend.
12. OUR SUNDAY SCHOOL will present its annual YOLKA on Sunday, 13 January, 2019.
This special event, honouring the Nativity of Christ, will take place in the Parish Center following Divine Liturgy. We will
see a play telling us about the Birth of our Lord Jesus, sing carols in honour of the Feast and enjoy festive fellowship. Plan
to be there. It is said, too, that a special visit from Saint Nicholas might be expected at the Yolka!
13. JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution for the Cathedraticum to the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars
per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian
Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your “Cathedraticum” envelopes. God Bless!
14. LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at:
- www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s
Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM.
- www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore,
(Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM
This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine
Liturgy.. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday.
15. WE ARE looking for someone who is willing and able and equipped to plow our parking lot after snowfalls this winter
(not necessarily a parishioner, and not necessarily without compensation – though that would be nice). If you know of
someone who might be interested in plowing the snow from our parking lot, please, inform Father Basil or any member of
the Parish Council. Thanks for your help!
SSPPPSBB: Saint Stephen Russian Orthodox Church, Old Forge, is sponsoring a Manhattan Clam Chowder sale this week
on Friday, 14 December. Donation- $8/quart or 2 quarts/$15.
To order call Kathy at 570-457-9607. Smacznego!
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul
Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life.
Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]
+ + + + + + +