1. WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship
the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a member, please, see
Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128. God
2. SUNDAY SCHOOL classes are held each Sunday following Divine Liturgy.
All students (grades Pre-K through 8) are expected to attend Orthodox education sessions to increase their knowledge of
the Orthodox Faith and its practical application in daily life. We thank parents and grandparents for their support of our
Sunday School programme. God Bless you!
3. THE FIFTH WEEK of the Great Fast begins tomorrow. This is a blessed time given to us as we prepare for Holy Pascha.
It is a time for prayer, fasting and forgiveness. Let us adhere to the Church’s guidelines for fasting as best as we can (with
no rationalizing as to why we should mitigate or disregard the Fast ); let us pray more at home and come to Divine
Services in church where we stand in the very presence of the Lord God; let us prepare to make a sincere, heartfelt and
candid confession of our sins in the Sacrament of Holy Confession asking forgiveness from the Lord God, while resolving
to avoid sin and the occasions of sin, and while being willing to forgive those who wrong us (“and forgive us our
trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us…” – sound familiar?!!). During this sacred time, let us approach
the Holy Chalice and receive our Lord in Holy Communion, not out of obligation – but because we love our Lord and want
Him to be with us always. And remember – the Evil One works diligently and very craftily especially during the days of
the Great Fast to lure us away from God even a little. May the Lord strengthen us to resist temptation and bless us with
an Holy Fast.
4. AN IMPORTANT component of the “Lenten” discipline is almsgiving. Our parish has a tradition called the “Lenten
Sacrifice”. Each person is asked to contribute just one dollar per day for the forty days of the Great Fast as a personal
sacrifice towards our parish. This is a worthy and blessed effort. Special envelopes are available in the narthex to remind
us to practice this discipline. May the Lord God Bless and reward your “Lenten Sacrifice”.
5. COME TO CHURCH this week for Divine Services:
- The Canon of Saint Andrew of Crete on Wednesday evening at 6:00PM.
- The Akathist to the Mother-of-God on Friday evening at 6:00PM.
The Great Fast is quickly coming to an end – May we not allow it to pass us by without reaping its holy fruits of
repentance, patience, humility and love. Lord, have mercy!
6. “MISSION SERVICES” are held in various parishes during this time of the Great Fast. We encourage our parishioners
and friends to attend these Missions as a part of Lenten discipline. We join with other Orthodox Christians, clergy and
laity, in prayer and holy fellowship, asking for God’s great mercy. The Mission Service Schedule is:
- 18 March - Saint John the Baptist Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield 5:00PM
- 25 March - Saint Basil the Great Russian Orthodox Church, Simpson 5:00PM
7. THE FINAL session of the Orthodox Education Seminar for adults will be held this Tuesday, 20th March. It will take
place in the upper classroom at our Parish School-Center beginning at 7:00PM. The session lasts about one hour.
Everyone high-school age and over is most welcome. We will use the classic volume “The Law of God” as our basic text.
Hope you can join us this Tuesday, 20 March @ 7:00PM! God Bless!
8. LENTEN SOUP sale: Manhattan Clam Chowder and Vegetarian Vegetable. To order call
570-842-6476 or 570-343-8128 (leave message). Pick-up at Parish Hall, 11:00AM – 2:00PM.
Fridays ,23rd and 30th March. Donation- $7 per quart. Many thanks for your support!
9. MARK THE DATE: This Saturday, 24 March - You are cordially invited to spend the morning by helping to clean and
care for the beauty of our Parish Temple. We will begin at 9:00AM and hopefully be finished by noon. Let’s get our church
in fine shape for Holy Pascha. Thanks! God Bless!
10. THE PARISH COUNCIL will next meet next Sunday, 25 March, after Divine Litury. This adjustment was agreed upon
at last Sunday’s session. All Council members are asked to attend. Coffee Hour and the April 50/50 will be held, too (in
11. THE ROOF on our church is showing signs of needing to be replaced. This is an important and major project for us
which must be addressed very soon. Estimates for the roof repair/ replacement are being considered. We need your help;
please, make an offering for the Roof Fund. Thanks! God Bless!
11a. OUR FURNACE in church is showing signs of needing some extra care. Some repair work has been done and
everything seems to be working OK. If you can make an offering to help cover the cost of repairing the furnace in church,
please, let us know. Your donation is greatly needed and most appreciated. God Bless you!
12. CHURCH CLEANING this week, 18 March: TEAM 3 - Sandra Wallick, Sonja Czachor, Mary Ann Hogan and anyone
else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and the main aisle before leaving church today. Thank
you. We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to clean the church more
thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday, after Liturgy) If you can offer an hour or two each month to help keep
our church in proper condition, please, use the sign-up sheet at the candle-desk and let us know you are willing to help
our church. WE NEED YOUR HELP. Thank you and God Bless you!
BLESSED ARE THEY WHO DWELL IN THY HOUSE, O LORD, THEY WILL BE ALWAYS PRAISING THEE!
13. VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com
Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation
of just $15 per month. Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-
line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you!
14. THE HOLY FIRE (vintage 2017, and previous) from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the
lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave
(main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation
of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover
the cost of candles. God Bless! [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE.
Log-on to it when you have time.)
15. JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution for the Cathedraticum to the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars
per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian
Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your “Cathedraticum” envelopes. Try to give your fair share(and more, if
possible) to help the good work done by His Excellency Bishop JOHN throughout our Patriarchal Parishes in the United
States. Thank you and God Bless! Thank you for your faithful support of the Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox
Church in the United States. God Bless you!
16. LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at:
- www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s
Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM.
- www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore,
(Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM
This is offered for those who cannot come to church for a serious reason. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine
Liturgy in church on Sunday.
BE ENCOURAGED: You may have noticed that winter has officially come to NEPA! It’s getting a bit chilly outside. Be not
discouraged, O faithful parishioners! The vernal equinox arrives in 3 days - this Tuesday, 20 March, 2018, at 12:15PM
Eastern Daylight Time! Spring is knocking at the door!! The daffodils and crocuses are peeking-out around the church!
The honking Canadian geese are V-formationing northward! Did you see your first robin yet?!!
(BUT keep those snow shovels handy, just in case! – remember: THIS IS NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA!) God Bless!
WE ENCOURAGE our parishioners and friends to log on to the links below. They concern the pressing need for us, as
Christians, to support and encourage the proper training, both spiritual and theological, of our future clergy in the
Russian Orthodox Church in the United States. Please, spend just a few minutes of your time to view this video – then
follow your conscience. “Giving Tuesday” lasts all year! The need is always there. We know that the “Christmas season”
puts a strain on the family budget, BUT you can give a “Giving Tuesday” gift at any time during the year. God Bless you!
Forged in Fire. Holy Trinity Seminary
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul
Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life.
Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]
+ + + + + + +