1. WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit
and worship the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps,
becoming a parishioner, please, see Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or
phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128. God Bless you!
2. SUNDAY SCHOOL classes resume today, Sunday, 20 September. We welcome our students and teachers
for a new year of learning about our Orthodox Faith. Classes commence after Divine Liturgy and will be held
in the upper classroom of the School-Center. Students in grades Pre-K through 8 are strongly invited to attend
weekly sessions. We thank the parents and grandparents for their continued co-operation with our Sunday
School programme. May the Lord God Bless this academic Sunday School year with His goodness.
WELCOME! God Bless!
3. HAPPENING TODAY! OUR PARISH is sponsoring a PENNE PASTA DINNER (TAKE-OUT ONLY) at
the Parish Hall from noon until “sold out!”. Your dinner includes Italian style penne pasta and tomato sauce,
home-made meatball, minestrone soup, crispy salad, dinner roll and dessert. Tickets at the door: $12 per dinner.
Your help with this “take-out only” dinner is much appreciated. Please, stop by at the Center and pick-up your
take-out. Mangia bene! Many thanks for your continued help and support – we need it much. May the Lord
God Bless you!
4. CHURCH CLEANING for the week of 20 September: TEAM 2: Maryann Capwell, Barbara Togher,
Marie Vass, Mary Orzolek and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and
the main aisle before leaving church today.
Thank you and God Bless!
We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to clean the church
more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday). God Bless!
HOLINESS BEFITS THY HOUSE, O LORD, UNTO THE LENGTH OF DAYS!
5. NEXT SUNDAY is the Feast of the Elevation of the Precious Cross of the Lord. If you would like to make a
donation towards the flowers which decorate the Holy Cross, please, stop at the candle-desk. Your offering is
much appreciated. God Bless!
6. THE ROOF on our church needs to be repaired/ replaced. This is an important and major project for us
which must be addressed. The estimate for the roof repair/ replacement, as accepted at the Special Parish
Meeting held on 5 August, 2018, is $43,445.00. We need your help; please, make an offering for the Roof
Fund. Thanks! God Bless! In addition, a second collection will be taken each Sunday to benefit the Roof Fund.
Your understanding and consideration are very much appreciated. Please, pray for the success of this important
work. Initial repairs have begun! Roofing materials have been delivered. Work on replacing the roof will begin
very soon! God Bless!
6a. BREAKING NEWS! Work on replacing the church roof has begun! A crew has been here replacing the
roof. This work will continue until the entire church roof is completely replaced. That’s good! Please, pray for
good weather (no rain – or rain only at night!) so the project can be completed ASAP. God Bless this work!
7. UPCOMING EVENTS:
- OUR PARISH fiscal year comes to a close on 30 September. We respectfully ask all our parishioners to
attend to any outstanding financial matters before that date. This will better enable our financial committee to
prepare and present a parish budget for the coming fiscal year. Many thanks for your co-operation! God Bless!
- THE PARISH COUNCIL is scheduled to meet on Sunday, 4 October, for its regular session. This meeting
will, also, discuss and approve the Parish Budget for fiscal 2020/2021.
All Council members are asked to attend.
There are a few open seats available on the Parish Council. If you would like to serve the Church and our
Parish by serving on the Parish Council for the coming year, please, contact Father Basil or Robert Lozada,
Parish Secretary. God Bless!
8. THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING of Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church, Scranton,
Pennsylvania, is scheduled for Sunday, 25 October, 2020. The meeting will be held in the Parish School-Center
following Divine Liturgy. All parishioners in good standing are encouraged to participate. May the Lord God
Bless and Guide our deliberations and actions!
9. VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com
Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more.
Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $25 per month.* Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex.
We need donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website
for a month or more. God Bless you!
* The cost to keep our website up and running on-line has increased. This is the first increase since our website
began several years ago. Your continued support, encouragement and generosity are very much appreciated.
10. THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our
church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main
body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and
salvation of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is
requested to cover the cost of candles. God Bless! [A “link” has been included on our website for more
information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you have time.] God Bless!
11. JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution for the Cathedraticum to the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty
($50.00) dollars per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please,
actively support our Russian Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your “Cathedraticum” envelopes.
12. LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at- www.stjohnsmayfield.org
and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, -
Sunday at 9:30AM.
- www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore,
(Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM
This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the
Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday. God Bless!
Petitions offered up at the Augmented Litany of Divine Liturgy, during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
- Again we pray Thee, O Lord our God, that Thou mightest mercifully protect us from the devastating pestilence
stirred up against us, and deliver Thy faithful people from spiritual and physical death; grant unto the sick healing and
health, and unto all of us Thy divine protection and help; we pray Thee, O kind-hearted Lord, quickly hearken and have
- Again we pray, that Thou mightest pacify the troubles of men and every fearful thing, compass Thy faithful about
with firm hope, and instill in our hearts quietude; we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy.
Prayer read during the Spread of Devastating Pestilence
O Lord our God, enter not into judgement with Thy servants, and compass us about with protection from the
devastating pestilence stirred up against us. O kind-hearted Lord Who art inclined toward benevolence, have
compassion on us, Thy humble and unworthy servants, who fall down before Thee with broken hearts and hope in Thy
For Thine it is to show mercy and to save us, O our God, and unto Thee do we send up glory: to the Father, and to the
Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
+ + + + + +
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and
Paul Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire
life. Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]
+ + + + + + +