1. WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship
with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a member, please, see Father Basil
or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128. God Bless you!
2. SUNDAY SCHOOL classes have resumed for the current 2017-2018 academic year. All Sunday School students (grades
Pre-K through 8) are expected to attend Orthodox education sessions to increase their knowledge of the Orthodox Faith
and its practical application in daily life. Sunday School staff Maryann Capwell and Elena Shurdom eagerly await greeting
our students. We thank parents and grandparents for their support of our Sunday School programme. God Bless you!
3. MANY THANKS to everybody of you who helped make last Sunday’s “All You Can Eat” Pasta Dinner a successful and
tasty affair. There was plenty of pasta and meatballs for everyone; and that salad bar – just marvelous and so well
stocked. The dessert was great, too. So, a big “THANK YOU” to all! God Bless you!
4. THE NEXT meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for Sunday, 8 October. The session will be held in the Parish
Center following Divine Liturgy. Coffee Hour and the October 50/50 will, also, be on the list of activities that day.
Parishioners who are interested in the future of our parish and who wish to be an active voice on our Parish Council are
encouraged to attend the Parish Council meeting. We look forward to welcoming parishioners who are interested in
supporting our parish spiritual life and administration. The Annual Parish Meeting is scheduled to be held on Sunday, 22
October. The future of our Parish is in your hands! YOU ARE the future of our Parish! Please, pray and consider becoming
a member of our Parish Council.
5. PLEASE, NOTE: DIVINE LITURGY NEXT SUNDAY, 1 OCTOBER, 2017, WILL BEGIN AT 9:00AM (Hours at 8:40AM)
* . Please, note this change and set you alarm clock accordingly. Thanks for your anticipated attendance.
* You are encouraged to come for Hours every Sunday ; spending a bit more time in church ( in the Presence of the Lord
God) will make your day, and your life, better, with only positive side-effects.
6. HELP SAVE the world (not necessarily the “earth”)! INCREASE your PHILANTHROPIC FOOTPRINT! Make a donation
to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church, 1720 Academy Street, Scranton, Pennsylvania 18504. Your most
appreciated donation, in whatever amount, will be used to further the ministry of our parish and help our outreach in
spreading the Orthodox Christian Faith. Thank you for demonstrating your love for mankind. God Bless you!
7. OUR GRATITUDE is extended to all who have so generously supported the many needs of our parish. Those who have
donated towards the new fence on the north loggia, re-gilding and restoration of liturgical items, new vestments and
other vessels for the Divine Services, the fixing of the church roof (which should begin soon) – Thank you all very much!
May the Lord God bless and reward you abundantly!
8. CHURCH CLEANING this week, 24 September: TEAM 2 – Maryann Capwell, Barbara Togher, Mary Orzolek and
anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and the main aisle before leaving church today.
Thank you. We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to clean the church
more thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday, after Liturgy) If you can offer an hour or two each month to help
keep our church in proper condition, please, use the sign-up sheet at the candle-desk and let us know you are willing to
help our church. WE NEED YOUR HELP. Thank you and God Bless you!
FOR ONE DAY IN THY COURTS, O LORD, IS BETTER THAN A THOUSAND ELSEWHERE!
9. VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com
Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more.
Be a website Sponsor for a donation of just $15 per month. Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need
donations to keep our parish website on-line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or
more. God Bless you!
10. THE HOLY FIRE (vintage 2017, and previous) from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the
lampadas in our church. If you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave
(main body) of our temple, please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation
of family and friends, or for the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover
the cost of candles. God Bless! [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE.
Log-on to it when you have time.)
11. JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution for the Cathedraticum to the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars
per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian
Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your “Cathedraticum” envelopes. Try to give your fair share(and more, if
possible) to help the good work done by His Excellency Bishop JOHN throughout our Patriarchal Parishes in the United
States. Thank you and God Bless! Thank you for your faithful support of the Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox
Church in the United States. God Bless you!
12. THE DIVINE LITURGY is now broadcast live and in living colour on the radio each Sunday from Saint John’s Russian
Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield. Tune in to 94.3FM Sunday morning at 9:30AM. (Also available via internet: www.
talker943.com and live-streaming on www.stjohnsmayfield.org . This radio-broadcast is for the benefit of those who are
unable to come to church for Divine Liturgy. It is NOT a substitute for not attending Divine Liturgy here at Saints Peter
and Paul Russian Orthodox Church, Scranton.
- The Divine Liturgy is, “live-streamed” on Sunday at 10:00AM from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore,
Maryland (Archpriest John Vass, pastor) via their website at www.holytrinityorthodox.com On the “home page” look for
live streamed Divine Services in the left-hand column, and click on the proper place.
13. MANY THANKS to all our parishioners and friends who religiously help with the upkeep of our church and parish
properties. Our church cleaning teams, lawn maintenance, those who trim the trees, weed whackers, cemetery upkeep,
School/Center remodeling and cleaning crew – all deserve a vote of “thanks” for their efforts. May the Lord God Bless
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul
Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life.
Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]
+ + + + + + +