1. WE WELCOME YOU to Saints Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Church! We are happy to have you visit and worship
the Lord God with us. If you would like more information about our Parish and, perhaps, becoming a member, please, see
Father Basil or visit our website: www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com , or phone the rectory at 570 -343-8128.
God Bless you!
2. SUNDAY SCHOOL classes are in recess for the summer months; however, we wish to remind Sunday School students
and parents that there is NO SUMMER VACATION FROM ATTENDING DIVINE LITURGY ON SUNDAYS AND
HOLYDAYS. Sunday School classes will resume in September. Enjoy the summer! See you in church! God Bless!
3. THE ROOF on our church is showing signs of needing to be repaired/ replaced. This is an important and major project
for us which must be addressed. Estimates for the roof repair/ replacement are being considered. We need your help;
please, make an offering for the Roof Fund. Thanks! God Bless!
3a. A SPECIAL Parish Meeting was held on Sunday, 5 August, following Divine Liturgy. The purpose of this meeting was
to inform our parishioners about the repair/replacement of the church/temple roof and to gather input and suggestions
from parishioners. A good number of parishioners attended and several ideas were discussed. “Thank You” to all who
made the effort to be there and showed concern for our church. A decision was made to accept the proposal made by John’
s Construction Services to remove the existing roof and replace it. The proposal includes a 25 year warranty on materials
and 10 years on the work. The cost: $43,445.00.
4. OUR FURNACE in church is showing signs of needing some extra care. Some repair work has been done and everything
seems to be working OK. If you can make an offering to help cover the cost of repairing the furnace in church, please, let
us know. Your donation is greatly needed and most appreciated. God Bless you! – So, who thinks about the furnace during
the summer?! We will get a more clear picture about the furnace after it is inspected later this year.
5. JUST A reminder: We are currently in the time of the Dormition Fast. This is a two week period of prayer, fasting and
alms-giving in preparation for the Great Feast of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary (which
is celebrated on 15/28 August). Please, do not disregard this fast; try to observe it as best as you can.
MOST HOLY THEOTOKOS, SAVE US!
6. CHURCH CLEANING for the week of 19 August : TEAM 4- Maria Lozada, Donna Ferkile, Mishael Senyk, Stephen
Dreater and anyone else who can help. Please, remember to care for the Holy Icons and the main aisle before leaving
church today. Thank you.
We respectfully remind our Cleaning Teams that the assigned Team make arrangements to clean the church more
thoroughly during the week (not only on Sunday, after Liturgy) Please, do not use strong-smelling cleaners in church. If
you can offer an hour or two each month to help keep our church in proper condition, please, use the sign-up sheet at the
candle-desk and let us know you are willing to help our church. WE NEED YOUR HELP. Thank you and God Bless you!
HOW LOVELY IS THY DWELLING PLACE, O LORD OF HOSTS!
7. VISIT OUR new and improved parish website www.saintspeterandpaulscranton.com
Keep up with news and Divine Services, photos, links to Orthodox sites and more. Be a website Sponsor for a donation of
just $15 per month. Sponsorship forms are available in the narthex. We need donations to keep our parish website on-
line. PLEASE, favourably consider sponsoring the website for a month or more. God Bless you!
8. THE HOLY FIRE, from the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem, burns brightly in the lampadas in our church. If
you wish to make a donation for the burning of the Holy Fire in the Altar (Sanctuary) or Nave (main body) of our temple,
please, stop at the candle-desk. Offering intentions may be made for the health and salvation of family and friends, or for
the blessed repose of departed Christians. A donation of $25 per month is requested to cover the cost of candles. God
Bless! [A “link” has been included on our website for more information about the HOLY FIRE. Log-on to it when you
9. JUST A reminder: Our annual contribution for the Cathedraticum to the Patriarchal Parishes is fifty ($50.00) dollars
per parishioner per year. This is more than reasonable (only one dollar per week). Please, actively support our Russian
Orthodox Church in the USA by faithfully using your “Cathedraticum” envelopes. Try to give your fair share(and more, if
possible) to help the good work done by His Excellency Bishop JOHN throughout our Patriarchal Parishes in the United
States. Thank you and God Bless! Thank you for your faithful support of the Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox
Church in the United States. God Bless you!
10. LIVE-STREAMING, and encore viewing, of the Divine Liturgy is available at:
- www.stjohnsmayfield.org and in living colour on the radio at 94.3 FM from Saint John’s
Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Mayfield, - Sunday at 9:30AM.
- www.holytrinityorthodox.com from Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, Baltimore,
(Archpriest John Vass). – Sunday at 10:00AM
This is offered for those who, for a serious reason, cannot come to church on Sunday for the celebration of the Divine
Liturgy.. It is NOT a substitute for NOT attending Divine Liturgy in church on Sunday.
11. OUR PARISH will sponsor an “all you can eat” PASTA DINNER on Sunday,16 September. Proceeds will benefit our
ROOF FUND. Spread the word and invite your family and friends to attend. Tickets available at the door for a donation of
$10.00 per dinner. Mangia bene!
12. THE “SUMMER SCHEDULE” for Sunday Divine Liturgy will finish next Sunday,
26 August, 2018. Beginning Sunday, 2 September, 2018, the Sunday Divine Liturgy will commence at 10:00AM (Hours at
9:40AM). Please, note this in your schedule and set your alarm clocks accordingly!
13. GOING ON vacation? You can find an Orthodox Church in or near your destination by logging on to
orthodoxyinamerica.org . Go to church!
SSPPPSBB: Saint Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church, 58 Seneca Street, Wilkes-Barre, will hold its annual BAZAARLESS
BAZAAR on Sunday, 9 September, 2018, from 11:30AM to 1:30PM.
Chicken Dinner – Tickets $10/adults, $5/children ; Bake Sale and Raffle with cash prizes – Top Prize is $200! Our
parishioners are invited to attend.
GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
[A word to our Parishioners and Friends: When making your Last Will and Testament, please, be sure to include Saints Peter and Paul
Russian Orthodox Church among your beneficiaries. The Church has helped, guided and nourished you throughout your entire life.
Making a final bequest to our Parish will help you and it will help your Parish. Pray and consider this. God Bless you!]
+ + + + + + +